A signification portion of the divorce practice at The Law Firm of Walter K. Schreyer is to modify clients’ original divorce orders. Arrangements initially made during divorce hearings aren’t permanent, and we understand that they sometimes need to be revisited when our clients’ lives change. In order for someone to change a child custody or alimony order, he or she must show that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.

A common reason why people seek to change their divorce orders is when one parent moves away from the area because he or she has received a new job. This type of change would require a modification in the parenting time schedule. In addition, an older child may request to live with a different parent than in the original divorce order, which would alter the custody and visitation arrangements set in place. Finally, a spousal support or alimony order may need to be altered if one of the parties loses his or her job or receives a pay raise due to a promotion.

At The Law Firm of Walter K. Schreyer, we offer a free initial consultation with a New Jersey family lawyer. To schedule an appointment, call (888) 511-2837.