Post-divorce modifications to child custody and support orders are quite common. Either parent may enlist the services of a divorce lawyer to file a modification petition with the court. Additionally, if the other parent has requested a modification, it’s in your best interests to work with an attorney serving Westwood who has experience in family law matters. Your lawyer can protect your rights and interests in court, particularly if you do not agree with the petition for modification filed by the other parent or if you’re arguing for changes on your behalf.

hackensack-divorceChanges in Financial Circumstances

Often, a divorce lawyer will file a petition for modification on behalf of one parent if there is a change in financial circumstances. For example, the noncustodial parent may have suffered from job loss, loss of hours, or a transition to a new job that pays considerably less. In this situation, the noncustodial parent may consult an attorney about modifying the child support order to reduce the support obligation. However, if the noncustodial parent receives a significant raise or acquires a new job that pays more, the custodial parent may try to obtain an increase in support obligations with the help of an experienced law firm. The custodial parent may also file a petition for modification if the child requires additional support obligations, such as if the child requires significant medical treatment. Other changes in financial circumstances may affect an alimony agreement, if applicable. For example, one spouse may remarry or experience a change in employment, which may necessitate a modification in spousal support.

Changes in Geographical Location

The visitation agreement is also subject to post-divorce modification. Either parent may work with a lawyer to file a petition for modification if he or she acquires a new job and must relocate to another area. Moving often necessitates a change in the visitation schedule.

Changes in the Child’s Preferences

As the child grows older, he or she may express a preference to live with the noncustodial parent or to spend more time with the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent may enlist the help of a law firm to petition to become the custodial parent or to increase visitation hours.