There are some phone calls that every parent dreads. Answering the phone to be informed that your child has been arrested may feel like a nightmare. In New Jersey, the juvenile court system handles all cases involving minors who have been accused of crimes. Consult a family lawyer and follow these suggestions if your child has been accused:

Remain Calm

This may seem obvious or impossible, depending on how much trouble your child is in. However, it is important for you to get past the initial shock and anger of learning about the situation. Your child will need you to remain calm and help him or her as only a parent can.

Determine if Bail Has Been Set

Bail is the method of ensuring that your child appears in court, the amount of which is set by the judge. Your child may be released into your custody in some circumstances without having to pay, but this is not always the case. You will need to determine if bail has been set and decide how to pay the fee.

Support Your Child

Having a child arrested is distressing, but your child may be even more scared than you. In 2009, there were almost 49,000 juvenile arrests in New Jersey. Many children make mistakes, and your child is not alone. It is important for him or her to know that.

Retain a Lawyer

Juveniles may be charged with many crimes that are the same as those with which adults are charged, but the court process is different. Not only is it important to retain a lawyer to protect your child’s interests, but it is also essential to hire an experienced lawyer who is familiar with the New Jersey juvenile court system.

The Law Firm of Walter K. Schreyer is a full-service firm with more than 35 years of experience. With the ability to practice law in both New York and New Jersey, we can help defend your child against charges of drug possession, shoplifting, trespassing, and more. Call us at (888) 511-2837 to speak with an attorney.


The materials available at this website are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use and access to this website or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.